Jenkins on minimalistic Debian Virtualbox VM (64bit)
- Download and install Virtualbox
- Download debian-stable-amd64-minimal.ova and import it into Virtualbox
- Start the “debian-stable-amd64-minimal” VM in Virtualbox
- If you are outside Nova Scotia, please review debian-stable-amd64-minimal.txt and adjust locale, timezone and Debian mirror based on your location
- Start an ssh session to localhost, port 1111 (using PuTTY, for example)
- Log in as user (default password is “user”)
- Issue “sudo install.sh jenkins” (default root password is “root”)
- Press enter for any questions during installation
- Open http://localhost:8888/ in a browser on the host OS for Jenkins web ui
You can go to “Manage Jenkins” – “Configure System” and see that JDK, Ant and Maven entries are already configured for you.
Both OpenJDK 6 and OpenJDK 7 are installed automatically for you in the VM. Please note that openjdk-6 is the Debian stable system default, while openjdk-7 is configured as the default for Jenkins build jobs.
Important: Make sure to change root and user passwords to something secure, as mentioned in debian-stable-amd64-minimal.txt.